Wednesday, April 2, 2014

DIY canvas wall art


As I mentioned before me and my boyfriend bought a house in October, after 6 months of renos we finally moved in. It's still a work in progress but I'm pretty proud of how far it's come. Decorating has to be my favorite part of the process so far! I love looking for inexpensive items that give our home a look of quality and coziness. Our bedroom is all grey and white and needed something a little extra. I'm still planning on getting bold grey stripped curtains from west elm and a bold rug as well but I haven't found the perfect one. In the meantime I decided to spruce up the space with a little color and print. Now let me warn you I'm not crafty or skilled in arts. I come from an incredibly artistic family and I can doodle a mean stick figure but that's as far as my talents go. 


I went to my local michaels and perused the isles for inspiration. I knew what color pallet I wanted to work with, greys, purples and greens. 
I ended up leaving the store with a stack of canvas, arcrylic paint, brushes, scrap book paper, paper spray glue, and silver letters. With the awesome deals at micheals it only cost me just under $30! 

First I painted the canvas in a striped pattern with a bold purple bottom, a chevron inspired print and a colorful long brush stroke one. 

As that dried I drew a quartfoil and cut it out on cardboard. I started tracing it on the back of the scrapbook paper and quickly realized it looked like crap haha. So I tried tracing a solo cup and cut of the circles. I did a even spray of the adhesive on the backs and gave a few seconds to become tacky. Next I placed them evenly on the canvas and let completely dry. 
I'm really into the gold and silver foil prints all over etsy. I'm my attempt to do something similar I finished the painted peices with silver stickers. I wanted to do "love" and "gratitude" but the lack didn't have enough letters so I went with "grateful". I dicided not to use the other painting because I I wanted to use the circle canvas for the center peice. 

They are not hung up yet but I think they turned out pretty cute! I'm sure a similar prints from etsy would have cost about $20 each so it's a good cheap way to add a personal touch to your living space. 

As always thanks for reading! Xoxo brianna 
Oh yes and I will be sharing before and after photos of our home soon. There should be more diys and decor posts coming your way as well : )

1 comment: