Sunday, February 2, 2014

THE BEAUTY BOWL: Battle of the Beauty Products


So I know the Super Bowl is on right now...I know all you girls are bored. So I thought I'd do a little battle of the beauty products, the beauty bowl if you will. Two similar products go head to head, and I'm the lady in stripes making the calls.

Nars velvet Matte lip pencil VS. Revlon Color burst matte balm
While they both have similar names, and claim to do similar things, the price tag is the real difference. Nars comes in at $25 per pencil while Revlon is between $6-$8 depending on where you find it. The color burst collection has 10 different shades of nudes, brights even a trendy wine and purple color. The color pay off is great, and the shades are true to color from the packaging. My only problem is the brighter the shade the more it breaks up and settles in lines after a while. With using any matte lip color I suggest keeping a lip balm on while you do the rest of your makeup then blot it off before applying color. The Velvet lip pencils come in 14 colors mostly neutral lip colors and a few deeper shades but nothing as bright and vibrate as in the Revlon color pallet. You really get what you pay for when it comes to the texture in these however, the go on so smooth and the matte finish is flawlessly done.
The winner in my book is the Nars, the colors are shades I would wear on a daily basis and the quality is much better too. The color I keep going back to is Dolce Vita, decried as a dusty pink.

Sonia Kashuk Eye Couture Palette-Eye on Neutral  VS. Urban Decay-Naked Basics Palette
Do you see a theme here? So I'm really loving matte and neural shades. Seems boring but they are actually very useful in creating a great look without ending up looking like a disco ball. The Sonia Kashuk compact comes with 12 shades in a sleek little black case. The first three are white and creams, the next three are peach and tan, then a red clay brown and two taupe colors follow, the last three mauve, grey and jet black. This is all you need to create a complete dynamic eye look for any occasion. I got mine at target for $20, which is steep for a drugstore buy but its hard to find an all matte palette out there! The Urban decay palette goes along with they're cult followed naked line. While they have three pallets of neutral shadows that mix shimmers, satins and mattes this is the only all matte version. Let me just say it's $27 and comes with 6 shades...really. Three cream colors, one tan, one brown and one black. The packaging is a small flat rectangular palette similar to the Eye Couture palette except its branded with the "NAKED" logo across the top instead of the see through top the former offers. To me its a no brainer. Sonia Kashuk's eye on neutral dominates the basics palette. Its like Urban decay just needed something else to throw into the Naked line to profit from but the product less than basic, not worth the almost $30 price tag.

L'oreal Paris Smooth Intense Xtreme Straight Creme VS. Phyto Phytodefrisant botanical straightening balm
So I have mention the l'oreal product before, I've been using the same bottle since the summer and have enjoyed it. It is targeted to those with unmanageable, frizzy hair. That's me. It claims to keep frizz under control for 72 hours, protect hair from heat styling of up to 450 degrees and contains oleo-kertain. Seems like a whole lot of marketing BS to me, but either way it did make my hair more sleek and less dry and brittle when flat ironing. Now it does say it is an intense cream, so use it very sparingly. I have thick dry hair and I can only apply this from my ears down because it is just too heavy for my roots. You can find it at the drugstore for $5-7 bucks. The phyto-word I can never pronounce-balm is a thinner consistency, more of a gel than a cream. It is for unruly, frizzy, and rebellious hair, again I fit the bill. It is actually heat activated so you will get a better result when using heat tools. Much like the other products from this brand it is free of paragons, sulfates, and phthalates. While the l'oreal cream contains alcohol and other ingredients that may make your hair feel good at the moment but dry it out over time, doing the opposite desired effect. The phyto balm also claims that the more often you use it the easier it will be to achieve a straight, frizz free hair. Again I think that is marketing, to get you to use more of the product faster. Something many beauty companies admit to doing it stretching the truth of their product and making everything seem like a miracle in a bottle. In this case, its no miracle, it just actually works. At $28 per bottle I keep repurchasing it. It makes my hair much straighter and I can load it on all over my hair and it will never cross the glossy/greasy line.

Currently watching the half-time show with Bruno Mars. He's always a great performer! Even for a guy named Peter he's got some soul : ) Ya Thumbs up for the name change.

Thanks for reading XOXOXO Brianna!



No comments:

Post a Comment