Sunday, February 9, 2014

Does your age define you? Being a 20-something in Adult limbo

For warning in this post I am going to open up a bit. Im not trying to whine or complain about my life at all. I know I am very privileged and I am thankful for the things I do have in my life. That being said, I'm 25 and I have no idea where my life is going.
I know this is a common time for a "quarter life crisis". A time people in their 20s and 30s to question the life dissions they have made up until this point and where they are headed in the future. For me it seems like a lot of people my age have a general plan that they are working towards. Most people have careers or getting married and starting families. I am doing none of those things. I feel like Im in this weird stage of adult limbo. Yes, I am an adult at 25 but I have little to prove this point. LOL For example my boyfriend is incredibly focused and driven. He graduated college and works at a corporate office in a near by city. The kid is twenty five and just bought his first home and has a 401 K plan for christ sake, he's got his stuff together. Meanwhile Im over here babysitting on weekends for extra money.
Im in the weird in between age of what having fun is supposed to be like. If you go out on a friday night and have a hangover the next day you may be seen as immature. If you stay in watching say yes to the dress and folding laundry then your an old lady. Not that I care that much how others perceive me, but I do feel a bit lost on this whole trying to be young and old simultaneously thing.
I use night cream to prevent future wrinkles but still battle teenage like acne. It doesn't help that I look much younger than I am, I get parents at work who think Im 20 all the time. I have literally googled "How to look older". Im not even kidding. Im sure I won't think that in a few more years but right now I would love just to look my age. 

Don't even get me started on the everyone I know getting married and having kids...Im just trying to remember to switch my laundry so it doesn't smell stale. Seriously I just try living day by day and get through the many tasks and to do lists without wanting to crawl into the fetal position, never mind trying to plan the rest of my life. Anyone else feel like this?
I sometimes feel like Charlize Theron in the movie young adult. Though she is in her 30's in the movie, she's stuck in 21 year old state but trys to fool everyone she's got it all together. I know your twenties are a time to discover who you are, and don't get me wrong as far as the person I am on the inside Im at peace with. Its the things that people ask you at family get together that bother me..."So where are you working now?", "Not married yet?", "Still living in the same area?". I would really love it if they could all just stop. Im making my own way. God has a plan for me I just don't know what that is yet. Im still trying to figure this thing called life out, let me breathe and stop comparing me to everyone else please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment