Friday, August 1, 2014

How I (attempt) to keep my home clean and organized


Imagine this, after a long chaotic, hectic, draining day you're finally home. You open the door and see a spotless house. Everything is in its place, there are no dishes in the sink, beds are made, clothes put away, it even smells fresh and clean. You don't have to mentally pile on another list if things to do, you can just relax. That my friends is the reason I strive to keep a clean home. That is my "ahhh" moment. 
Just a disclaimer I don't have kids or pets. When we first moved into our new house I was ocd about keeping it clean. Then as we settled in, things got busy and stuff piled up. To help keep me on track I created a cleaning schedule that has daily tidying, one day of deep cleaning, and monthly and 3 month goals as well.  This is printed out on the side of my fridge:

Daily:
Morning:
make bed
put clean dishes away
Evening:
After dinner clean dirty dishes
wipe kitchen counters, stove top, and sink
quick sweep kitchen
tidy kitchen and living room
sort mail
water plants
wipe down bathroom counter, sink and mirror after getting ready for bed

Weekly:
Friday (day off):
sweep and mop floors and stairways
vacuum carpets
wipe down kitchen appliances
scrub bathroom toilet, sink and shower
dust wood furniture
small space organizing
laundry
meal planning/ grocery shopping list 
Saturday:
yard work
trash/recyclables
Sunday:
weekly meal prep
Finnish all laundry
ironing

Monthly: (changes out every week)
1) wash bedding, wash windows and window frames
2) wipe down base boards, door frames, base board heating
3) clean ceiling fans, spot clean carpets and couches, self clean stove and scrub microwave
4)wipe down all kitchen cabinets in and out, clean inside of fridge, run dishwasher through clean cycle
Every 3 months:
change filters on coffee and water
wash curtains and shower curtain
wash all throw blankets, wash living room pillows/cases

For my deep cleaning day I'm lucky that while everyone else is at work I'm scrubbing, dusting, and sorting. I crank up the tunes and go to town.
I keep my cleaning products in a carry all tote so I can take it room to room
These are some of my favorite cleaning products

I use washable cloths to wipe surfaces
I use a steam cleaner for my wood & tile floors, I love that it only uses water and has washable cloth pads

As for organizing your home here are some tips
1) Sort similar items together and place them in the most functional place in your home
2) Use bins and baskets for small items and to contain clutter
3) Labels are always helpful (I want a label printer SO BAD lol)
4) Seems simple enough but put things back where they go!!! That way you can always find things.
I use bins to hold small items in drawers
My "junk drawer"
Again using a small bin in my bathroom drawer

Next to the door I have a basket of items we might need as we go out side, now I have sun block and bug spray, scrap paper to start our charcoal grill and Pat's wrist brace he is supposed to wear doing yard work
Also near the door we have a tray to contain smaller organizational items a key holder, mail basket and office supplies caddy

I use all different baskets in my home to contain clutter

Chalkboard labels in my cabinets 
 
Another tip is to constantly purge your home of unused items. 
Old worn clothes, decor you never use, the books you promised yourself you were going to read three summers ago, all have got to go. Someone else will make good use of your things, and your house will not overflow. I suggest keep a pile of items you notice you haven't used in years or are broken and donate about every 6 months. I have gone back into my bags and got something out that I realized I needed, that's why I say to wait a few months. If you don't even notice its gone in the bag for months, you probably wont miss it.

I hope this is helpful and motivational to keep a tidy home. Hope everyone is having a great week! : )
Thanks so much for reading
xoxo Brianna



No comments:

Post a Comment