Friday, December 20, 2013

Combat the Cold!

I live in New England-infamous for its treacherous cold winters. We've have had two snow storms so far and temperatures have gone into the negatives. My lips were peeling, my hands are dry and cracked and my hair craved moisture. So I recently switched my skin, hair, body care routine to accommodate the blistering cold. (Have you detected my hate for winter yet?? LOL)

First off my skincare, I try to use a simple and natural product routine for my skin. My skin is combination, acne prone and sensitve. I'm currently using up cetaphil oil control foam wash however my next bottle ready to go is a gel face wash by philosophy called purity. It supposed to deep clean skin without over drying which will be great for my combination skin.
I will continue to use the same toner Thayers unseated which hazel alcohol free toner with aloe. As for night cream I am using ROC multi correxion night cream which helps the appearance of dull uneven skin. During the day I use Yes to grapefruit correct and repair again for uneven skin tones but lighter and with added SPF. Just because you're not sun bathing all day doesn't mean you should skip SPF during the day your skin with thank you later.

About once a week I make a sugar scrub and use it on my face and body. It takes away the dead skin cells, hydrates skin and makes it look glowing. I simply combine brown sugar, coconut oil, and honey. That's it! I don't measure it out but add enough of each ingredient until I get a coarse, puddy like scrub.

On regular days I wash my body with Dove Winter care body wash, when my skin is still wet I put on baby oil or coconut oil then dry myself off. After that I lather cream on top, I love Queen Helene cocoa butter because its so cheap and does the job but my all time favorite is The body shop Body butter with Vitamin E but I'm currently out of it.
In addition I always have on lip balm, I love the EOS brand, Rosebud salve and Fresh sugar lip treatments. I ALWAYS scrub my lips after brushing my teeth and follow it up with a moisturizing lip product because theres nothing more unattractive then peeling cracked lips.
Some of the products I'm using this winter

Now onto my hair. My very difficult confused hair. This winter it has been though a lot of coloring and heat styling, the roots get oily and the ends dry. I am very prone to spit ends and fallout. So I have been taking extra care of my poor damaged strands. Every two to three days I shampoo my hair so the night before I know I'm going to shampoo I add a concoction of oils in a squeeze bottle with whatever deep contioner I'm currently using. I put a plastic shower cap on my head and sleep like that, my boyfriend loves the look ; ) I add same parts olive oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil and sesame oil, massaging it into my hair and scalp by sections. Im currently using L'orel damage reversing balm and I layer that on top.
In the morning I wash my hair TWICE. I want the oils to penetrate my hair but I don't want them to build up and weigh down my hair. Then I condition my hair and detangle it in the shower using a wide tooth comb starting from the ends up. Doing this with make it less likely to pull and break my hair.
I use It's a 10 all over my hair after its towel dried, and a Lo'real smooth intense extreme straight cream from the ears down.
In between washes I use Bamboo style cleanse extend dry shampoo, Bumble and bumble Hairdresser's invisible oil, and L'orel color vibrancy duel protection spray which is a heat protectant as well.

I work with young children and we are stuck inside a small room together most of the winter. I literally wipe noses all day and get squeezes in my face, so trying not to get sick is tough. To combat this cold and flu season I started taking echinacea daily and drink Emergen C at the first hint of a sniffle. I also wash my hands with soap and water about 100000000000 times a day. At home I use lysol wipes that kill cold and flu germs, not only on every day surfaces but things like door knobs, phones and remotes get a wipe down too. I also try to regularly wash our bedding, get plenty of sleep and drink lots of water! So far so good! My poor Patrick is sick right now but I have managed to keep healthy thus far, Knock on wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment